International Student Program
Welcome to Thornbury High School. We have a well-established International Student Program with students across Years 7 to 12. We are happy to receive enquiries from families and education agents directly, but all applications must be lodged through the International Education Division of the Department of Education. We accept students from Year 7 to 11 and have four intakes a year for Year 7 to 10 students; Year 11 students must start at the beginning of the year. We look forward to meeting you soon!
To download a pre-arrival information pack (in English), please click here.
At Thornbury High School, we believe that a safe and secure learning environment, high academic standards, and opportunities for students to pursue individual interests are the essential elements of an outstanding education.
At Thornbury High, our purpose is to prepare students for a changing, diverse, and sustainable world by:
- Building knowledge and skills
- Encouraging effort and excellence
- Fostering resilience and integrity
- Developing a caring and cooperative learning community.
Core values arise out of what we believe to be important about people, about society, and about learning and knowledge. Values inform and shape how the school is organised, how people relate to each other in school, how decisions are made, as well as the content and processes of teaching and learning. Staff, students and parents have identified the following core values:
- Integrity, responsibility and respect – all community members are responsible for their own actions, treat others as they would want to be treated, and are honest with each other.
- Knowledge, skills and opportunity – all community members value knowledge, the development of new skills, and make the most of our opportunities.
- Resilience and wellbeing – our community supports its members to adjust to change and encourages health and happiness.
- Concern for others and community – our school welcomes community involvement and cares about the success and safety of others.
- Excellence and persistence – we recognise the need to persist and put in the effort to achieve our best.
- Inclusion and diversity – our school welcomes a range of cultures and respects their ideas and beliefs.
The School’s vision centres around four main pillars that form the foundations of an outstanding education and future success:
- Excellence and academic achievement for each student.
- Developing values and fostering positive personal attributes in each student.
- Providing a range of pathways throughout school and after school.
- Fostering students’ unique skills in areas such as science, the arts, music, leadership, and sport.
At Thornbury High school there are three distinct phases in education:
- Establishment and support (Year 7 & 8).
- Empowerment and Independence (Year 9).
- Specialisation and Pathways (Year 10, 11 & 12).
Many of our International Students are hosted by existing students of Thornbury High School and their families. Becoming a Homestay Family can be a tremendously enriching experience, forging life-long bonds and cultural ties between both host family and their guest.
If you’re interested in becoming a Homestay family for our international students, please click here.
You can also view Thornbury’s Homestay Policy here, as well as information from the Department of Education here.
CRICOS Provider Name and Code: Department of Education and training, 00861K.