Year 11 & 12
At Year 11 and 12, students are able to complete a Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) academic program or the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL).
Thornbury High School offers a wide range of VCE programs to suit students’ learning and pathway needs. Year 10 and 11 students have the option of accelerating their VCE pathway to enhance their opportunities for tertiary entrance.
Our VCE programs include:
- English / Literature
- Mathematics (General, Methods, Specialist)
- Science (Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Psychology)
- Humanities (Business, Accounting, Legal, History)
- The Arts (Studio, VCD, Media, Theatre, Music)
- Health and Physical Education
VCAL provides an alternative ‘hands on’ option for students in Years 11 and 12. The VCAL program gives students practical work-related experiences as well as developing their literacy and numeracy skills. Students build the personal skills that are important for life and work.
Like the VCE, VCAL is an accredited secondary certificate. VCAL provides a pathway to TAFE, an apprenticeship or traineeship, or employment. The structure of the VCAL program allows students to undertake a School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship while they continue their studies at Thornbury High School.
Students can be recommended for VCAL by teachers and Co-ordinators. All accredited courses/certificates that make up the VCAL program are assessed by the student’s individual teacher, in accordance with current requirements.
We monitor and support students in the following ways:
- Dedicated private study centre for all Year 12 students.
- Students have a careers plan developed and regular meetings with the careers and pathways advisors.
- Students complete a comprehensive study skills program.
- Students and their families receive regular progress reports.